The Manor House at Londonderry
700 Port Street, Easton
Situated on the Tred Avon River, the manor house at Londonderry was completed in 1867. The land known as “London Derry” was granted to Captain Francis Armstrong, a Quaker, by Lord Baltimore in 1649. Armstrong sold three acres to Talbot County for the first court house at a cost of 115 pounds of tobacco.
The Gothic Revival asymmetrical villa style home was designed by Richard Upjohn, who popularized Gothic Revival architectural style in America. This was one of the few residences designed by Upjohn. He also designed the Christ Church Rectory and the Trippe-Beale House in Easton. The house was built by Dr. Ninian Pickney, a surgeon with the U.S. Navy, on land Mrs. Pickney inherited from her father. Dr. Pickney lived in his home until his death in 1877 after which it passed through a number of prominent owners until it was purchased by the Londonderry Retirement Community in 2001.
The house is constructed of granite which was shipped from Port Deposit, Maryland. In the 1960’s the house was severely damaged by fire. The original mansard roof and elegant front porch were damaged and replaced; however the original elaborate verge boards on the wings survived as did the arched windows.
The interior was designed for entertaining and porches were built to take advantage of the cool river breezes and the landscaped lawns. The interior trim continued the Gothic Revival design with arched doorways and heavy moldings. The Pinkney’s sent to Paris for the chandelier. The fireplace was imported from Italy. The artwork, shown throughout, was created by residents of the Londonderry Retirement Community.
In March of 2015, a lightning bolt set the roof on fire; causing water damage to the entire second floor and much of the first floor. Reconstruction progressed slowly due to the historical nature of the home and the owner wished to retain the original interior. Care was taken as a new roof was installed, floors refinished, and walls painted to bring the home back to its former magnificence.
Thread Haven Cottage c. 1946
100 West Street, Oxford
Owned & Presented by Al and Eleanor Smith
In 1946, Naval architect Bob Henry and his wife Sally began building an English style cottage on 300 feet of Tred Avon River waterfront in Oxford. It was initially a simple cottage walled off for privacy, surrounded by English boxwood with a simple separate work building in which Capt. Henry preformed his famous trade. The land had been previously occupied by early settlers and before that, Native Americans, who must have been lured there by the wide water vistas and gentle breezes (at least in the summertime).
In the early ‘50’s, then owner Dottie Seaton enlisted the talents of noted architect and designer, Chandlee Foreman, to create a unique living room space which would eventually incorporate a maritime theme, vaulted ceilings, large fireplace, unusual staircase treatment and a “cat slide” roof. In succeeding years, the Smith’s would carefully carry Mr. Foreman’s ideas forward as they made the additions of a remodeled guest house, garage gallery office, home enlargement, living porch, and a very unique utility building.
These additions were designed by Mr. Smith’s late wife, Claire, and constructed by Jeffrey Fellows carpentry, as drawn by Tim Kearns, and later enhanced by the interior design of Don Wooters.
These spaces are furnished in American, English, and French antiques, with a sprinkling of formal and casual. Also are displayed several collections, especially one of metal packaging with an emphasis on lithographed British biscuit tins.
From virtually every vantage point in the complex, one may enjoy the relaxing water vistas as well as, in the evening, spectacular sunsets. The property has been rarely shown and has been owned, improved and maintained by the Smith family for the last thirty five years.
Al and Eleanor Smith are pleased to support the Festival of Trees and their work by the showing of their property. Mr. Smith is past president of Talbot Hospice Foundation and currently serves as an Emeritus board member.
Residence of Reza and Dale Jafari
6810 Oxford Road, Easton
The partially wooded 2.44 acre property opens onto the peaceful beauty of Peachblossom Creek. The artisianship of the original builder is apparent in the many custom details inside the home. The antebellum architecture is reminiscent of the cottages along the banks of the Mississippi River.
When Dale and Reza Jafari bought the property in 2015, they wanted a home that envelopes its visitors in warmth and welcome. Their updates bring the home into the modern era without changes to the original floor plan. Hardwood floors, custom crown molding, high ceilings, and a vaulted ceiling are just a few of the many interior features you will find.
The first floor boasts a formal living room and dining room, both with marble hearth fireplaces that have been converted to gas. The powder room reveals a unique design and décor. The kitchen was completely remodeled with deep cherry wood, granite counters and island, and mother of pearl glass tiling. The ceramic tile window painting behind the stove is the finishing touch. Many rooms provide an incredible view of Peachblossom Creek. The overall décor is classical, but you will find multiple pieces collected from around the world scattered throughout the home.
A guest bedroom on the second floor was designed with granddaughter visitors in mind and another room is decorated with a Persian flare. Just down the galley hallway you find two arched windows with another glimpse of Peachblossom Creek. The attached black and white bathroom suggests an art deco tone.
The back opens onto the boat storage area and the recently renovated pool. River stones were used to create the landscaped islands along the side and the back of the house. The quaint shed near the pool predates the house. It originally served as a spring house and has been repurposed as a gardening storage shed.
The Church of the Holy Trinity
502 S. Morris Street, Oxford
In May of 1851, the 63rd Annual Convention of the Diocese of Maryland agreed to the formation of a new congregation with St. Peter’s Parish for the convenience of parishioners living in the Oxford area. The construction of a new church to be known of the Church of the Holy Trinity, designed by Richard Upjohn, who personally selected the site on the bank of the Tred Avon River, was started in 1853, only to be discontinued a year later and the result of fiscal difficulties that were later further exacerbated by the Civil War. Mr. Upjohn was the architect of many famous churches including Trinity Wall Street in New York City.
Though the building was not completely finished until the summer of 1894, the congregation was meeting at different Oxford locations, survived as a mission of St. Paul’s Church, Trappe with a joint ministry. That relationship ended in 1900, with Holy Trinity striking out independently with its own Vestry and Rector.
Disaster struck when on October 15, 1945, a fire caused by a faulty furnace destroyed the building and its contents leaving only its stone walls standing. Determination, industry and sacrifice on the part of the congregation allowed Christmas service (using borrowed pews) to be held in the rebuilt building in 1947. Since then, the design and the installation of the new memorial stained glass windows and the acquisition of the Visser-Rowland organ have greatly increased both the beauty of the building and the services conducted within it. Suitable to the Gothic style of Holy Trinity, the windows are medieval in design and workmanship, glowing with rich blues and reds. Today, Holy Trinity is a vibrant, growing parish with a big heart and zeal for ministry.
Residence of Tracy Gammell and Sharon O’Connell
8054 Easton Village Drive, Easton
Owners Tracy Gammell and Sharon O’Connell chose to build their new home in Easton Village because the community offered small town neighborly charm, rural beauty, and access to the Tred Avon River that they were looking for. The pair recently moved to Talbot County from the Washington, D.C. area in order to enjoy a quieter life on the water to spend more time indulging in their love of boating.
Jamie Merida and Carol Wheeler of Bountiful Interiors designed the homes interior to reflect the casual lifestyle the owners were hoping for while respecting their sophisticated tastes. A blue and white color palette sparked by grey and red accents give the home the feel of a comfortable coastal cottage.
The tidewater traditional theme is further enhanced by pieces of original Eastern Shore art that the owners acquired at the Waterfowl Festival and Plein Air. Landscapes and nautical scenes by artists Mary Konchar, Fred Craig and H. S. Rogers form the core of their collection.
The owners first Christmas in their new home highlights the talents of Paula Siedlarz, Bountiful’s holiday designer. Siedlarz continues the blue and white theme on the holiday tree and throughout the home to create a fresh, upbeat take on traditional Christmas décor.
TICKETS: Requests for tickets by mail ($30) must be received by November 18. Advance in-person tickets ($30) are available until November 23 at the Talbot Hospice House, 586 Cynwood Drive, and at The Tidewater Inn Gold Ballroom from November 21 to November 23, and November 25 until noon. Day-of tickets ($35) are available only at The Tidewater Inn Gold Ballroom. Tickets are also available online at www.festival-of-trees.org. TICKET SALES ARE LIMITED, SO PLEASE ORDER EARLY. TICKETS MAY BE USED EITHER DAY.
Directions are available below. We suggest you download and print.
Attire: Please wear low-heeled shoes for both your own comfort and to protect the floors of our featured homes.
Ticket Sales are limited, so please order early.
Maps: Please download a map and directions to the homes by clicking on the button under the map..
PHOTOGRAPHY: No photography allowed at homes.
Please note: Tickets are only valid for the tour date specified.
Thank you to our Homes Tour families
The Friends of Hospice extend their most sincere gratitude to our Homes Tour families for making their homes available for the tour.